Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Frankenstein vs. Jane Eyre

One important thing about both books is that they are both told by their respective main characters in the past tense. Both books contain Romantic elements, such as the bildungsroman or developmental story. But one reason I would pick Frankentstein over Jane Eyre is the events that unfold. Frankenstein questions the role of the parent in the development of a child, while Jane questions the social situations that a child grows up in. Also in Frankenstein the events are reasoned out in a way that is more believable. I can understand why Victor wouldn't divulge his secret to life to prevent his abomination fro being reproduced. Even though I realize that Mary Shelley doesn't know the secret to life. But the coincidence that occurs time and again in Jane Eyre "makes me roll my eyes and want to gag" I mean how does Rochester happen to have a crazy wife? The ending is what really tops it off for me though. Romanticism is focusing on the struggle of the individual, but she no longer has to struggle, she is content. St. John is the one who is not content and struggling, but we are given no finality, no closure. It is as if she is starting a new story after she ended the one before. Frankenstein gives you more sense of closure, but with no definity. the monster states he will go off and burn himself, but no one ever witnesses it. So my final judgement is Frankenstein conquers over Jane. Also Frankenstein would win in a fight hands down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home